Friday, October 2, 2020

Goliath V.2 has begun!

 

So, some of you may know of my Goliath prop that I made back in 2005.  He was pretty impressive, took  me 17 days to make, and was my first papier mache prop.  Goliath is a gargoyle, the leader of the gargoyles, from the animated Disney series, "Gargoyles", from the mid '90s.  I watched it with my son, who was a little guy back then, and I loved it.  I had inspiration from another haunter's gargoyle prop, and decided I needed a life-sized Goliath for my display.  He was a lot of fun to make, and I will admit, I was quite obsessed about working on him.  I worked day and night, every second I could.  My house was a wreck, my kids ate a lot of take out, and I got very little sleep.  I didn't want to go out, and I almost took him with me when my tenant at the time forced me to go to a poker night at some friends' house.  I do not play poker, so I don't know why I had to go!  I had to work on Goliath!!!  Anyway....

We had a LOT of continuous rain and gusty winds in 2007, thanks to our tropical weather here in sunny Florida, and Goliath was one of the casualties of that deluge of the wet stuff.  He was so badly damaged that I had to make the hard decision to let him go.  It was heartbreaking.  There has been a huge hole in my display that nothing has been able to fill since his departure.

But now, I am going to rebuild him.  My husband graciously agreed to be my model for the duct tape dummy for his body, which is great, because my husband is a big guy and perfect for this project's beginning stage.  Tonight, I taped his top half, but I ran out of tape, so tomorrow I will pick up more tape and finish the bottom half and get started on creating a better, stronger version of my beloved Goliath.  I have learned a lot about papier  mache in the past 15 years, so the process should be easier for me.  

Wish me luck!

No comments: